Celebrating Mistakes

Today we (or rather I) celebrated mistakes in my classroom.  This is a no effort lesson plan that I rely on once in a while and is very effective.  

Before Class:
Generate problems for the students to complete (more than enough for the class period).  That's it!

During Class:
I review a few examples with the students before we begin the 'activity'.
Randomly pick a student to choose a number from 1 to however-many-problems-you-generated.  I write that problem on the board and the students complete it at their seats.  I also warn the students to write neatly because their work will be displayed for the entire class to see.  
Once the students have completed the problem I randomly pick a student and take a photo of their work with my iPad and display it on the apple TV.  Warts and all.

Note:  I am very unhelpful when the students are working on the problem at their seats.  I want the class to see THEIR work, not mine.  I tell the students that I LOVE when they make mistakes....it shows that they're trying and their brains grow when they make a mistake.  This is great formative assessment.  
I also enjoy the fact that the students can see that they are not the only ones possibly struggling this the topic.  It's perfect to not be perfect.  














Comments